To ensure the consumer safety related to the products they use, any food product must pass through an assessment system established by the UAE government and get registered under Dubai Municipality.
Before deciding to manufacture/import/export a food product in Dubai, it is obligatory to get it registered under the Dubai Municipality. Once the food product registration is completed – you can enter your product in the UAE market legally and without any restriction.
Food Safety Department – Dubai municipality regulates the registration process under the food control department – Food Import Re-export Service (FIRS).
Why Food Product registration is mandatory in Dubai?
According to the law, it is required for any food product to be registered under the Dubai Municipality either before manufacturing, importing/exporting, selling or distributing them into the UAE market.
Food product registration process warranties the highest quality and standards respected as per the rules and regulations of Dubai.
Restrictions/Regulations of Food Product registration in Dubai
- Banned ingredients – poppy seeds & alcohol
- Ingredients present in the food product must be displayed either in Arabic or English
- Food additives banned in the UAE: fast yellow A B, yellow 2 G, Amaranth, patent blue V, potassium bromate
- If the food product is already registered with another name or account then FIRS will reject the application
Food item registration under Dubai Municipality – details required
- Country of origin
- Packaging type (Ex: glass bottle, tray, bag, box, cans, etc.)
- Food manufacturer
- Item trade name
- Additives in the product (if any)
- Storage condition
Chilled: 2 – 5 c
Chilled: 4 – 10 c
Chilled: 11 –15 c
Frozen: – 18 c
Normal: 25 c
- Remarks if any
Food item – label assessment under Dubai Municipality
(each food label must contain the following)
- Brand name is a requirement
- Product name (a summarized description of the food product)
- The food ingredients (arranged in a descending order according to the weight or volume)
- Production & expiration dates of all products (except those which are exempted from displaying the validity or expiration dates)
- Name of the food manufacturer, packer, distributor or importer
- Net weight or volume
- Country of origin should be declared clearly and should be specific (for example EU is not a country of origin). The exact country should be specified
- Product’s barcode (provide if international bar code if available)
- Lot number
- Language of the label shall be in Arabic. Approved stickers could be used to translate the food labels in Arabic language
- Storage conditions (if the validity of the product depends on such conditions)
- Mentioning the ingredients which may cause hypersensitivity
- Instructions for using the product (if needed)
- Displaying the nutritional information is optional (catering only)
10 working days
For more details you may visit Dubai Municipality website: https://www.dm.gov.ae/
How can Bizzmosis help you?
– Our fast, reliable and cost-effective services guarantee that your business is being taken care of at a governmental level. Only a correct UAE product registration and customs filing saves you time and money.
– We provide complimentary services such as: UAE company formation and licensing, translation service, visa service, attestation of documents service, UAE local sponsorship and PRO services.
For any guidance and support, sign up for our in-house UAE Customs & Product Registration service and let our dedicated team take care of it!
Sign up and get a call back
+971 4 381 3934
+971 52 979 8169
FOLLOW our blog for latest and most reliable updates on licensing, visas, residency and travel, as well as free detailed DIY’s on how to have things done yourself and save time and costs!